About the Program
The East Spencer Homeowners Rehabilitation Program (ESHRP) is sponsored by the Town of East Spencer. The program offers assistance to low and moderate-income Town homeowners. ESHRP is now able to lend eligible Town homeowners up to $1,000 at 0% interest to assist in home repair(s). If it is determined that you do not qualify for a loan, then the Town may have the ability to offer a one-time $500 grant.
Grants do not have to be repaid by the property owner. Loans will have to be repaid if the home is sold within five (5) calendar years or can be forgiven after five years. If you are approved for a loan, the homeowner will sign a contract stating they understand the requirements.
Funds will be disbursed on a reimbursement basis. That means, you must present a valid paid invoice from a licensed contractor and the Town will reimburse the homeowner the appropriate fees. In some cases where the homeowner does not have the means to pay contractor, the Town can pay the contractor directly. The homeowner should contact the Town prior to making these arrangements with any contractor.
- Roof repair
- Plumbing/electrical system
- Painting inside/outside of house
- Replace floors, windows, walls and ceilings
- Heating/air system
- Code violation abatements
- Other general repairs depending on need
Homeowners who wish to apply for rehabilitation assistance must submit a Home Repair Application (HRA) as soon as possible. If your home is in need of basic repair and you meet the program income guidelines, you may be eligible.
The submitted application will go through a committee selected by the Town and all applications will be rated and ranked. Once your application has been ranked and there are funds available, the homeowner will receive an invitation to submit additional paperwork for approval.
Once the homeowner is approved for a loan or grant, it is up to the homeowner to schedule a contractor to complete the required work. The Town WILL NOT contact any contractor for the homeowner at any time during the process.
- Owner occupied
- Gross annual household income must not exceed 80% of the Town median household income ($35,040 * .80 = $28,032).
- Elderly or disabled household member or a child under the age six with lead hazards in the home. Cost of rehabilitation including all mandatory, energy-related measures cannot exceed $1,000.
- Town elected officials or employees of the Town and their immediate family members are not eligible for this program.
- Must be located in the Town of East Spencer
- Must be free of environmental hazards or other nuisances or any such hazards or nuisances must be corrected as part of the rehabilitation of the unit.
- Onsite stick built and off frame modular units are eligible for consideration; however, manufactured housing is not eligible for assistance.
Work and Post-Work
All work must be done by a licensed and insured contractor. The homeowner will not hold the Town responsible for any work done incorrectly. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure they are using a licensed and insured contractor.
For more information, contact the Town Administrator at (704) 636-7111.